I did not dream of becoming an international teacher but I dreamt of roaming around the world; seeing unique places, meeting people, immersing with other cultures, and becoming a global citizen.
I was trained to be a excellent physical therapist in one of the prestigious schools in Cebu, Philippines. I have successfully completed the whole course, lent free service through internship, and volunteered and helped home for the aged in my community. I was hoping that through physical theraphy, I'll be able to fulfill my dream. But, destiny led me to a differnt path.
As I was venturing into that paramedical profession, I have witnessed that most of the people I was dealing with were heading towards the end of their lives. Their energies were fading; their bodies were failing their spirt. Patients struck with debilitating disease would look at you, full of hope, as if you have a magical power reinstate their body back to normal. Families of the sick, on the other hand, would 'pay' you anything just to bring 'life' back. But you just can't. Much as I wanted to keep them living, but the end of their journey was but inevitable. Experts extended years to their lives and I tried to give 'life' to their years.
When I started teaching or even when I was just studying to become a teacher, I've seen the opposite end of the spectrum. Everyday, I see life blossoming. Students will look at you as a model, a source of wisdom....always hungry for knowledge....with 'eyes wide open'....communicating....'please teach' me. Although every individual have varying degree of progrees, but you see tiny sparks of improvement everyday...some tiny sparks that I believe will kindle into big fire of success.
Teaching is rewarding! When you look back at the end of the day, you'll probably recall a rowdy boy disrupting your class, a little girl crying for a spilled lunch, a parent buzzing over weekend homework, or a disperate teacher trying to print some worksheets. These things are just spices that makes teaching even more gratifying.
Moreover, teachers get to enjoy a year salary for a 10-month job. There are no schools on Saturday and Sunday; they get to have the rests on most of the weekends. Teachers are forced to take a break in summer, spring, Christmas, and other holiday break. With these perks, teachers get to spend enough time with their families.
Although teachers around the world are not paid like a CEO of a bank or a medical professionals in clinics and hospitals, but if I have to choose between the two professions, I'd rather be a teacher than any other career. This way, I have enough time to be with my family and enjoy holiday with them.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment